1. Make water your primary beverage for building muscle.
Young athletes require more water intake than their non-athletic peers, because their extensive physical activities—sports practices, games and conditioning workouts—make them perspire, creating the need for water replacement. Adequate water intake is essential for circulation and heart health as well as for the healthy functioning of body organs. Water also helps transport fuel to the muscles to aid in recovery and to enhance muscle-building.
A general guideline is to consume six to eight glasses of water per day—plus asports drinkif you are performing long, intense workouts.Water-based fruits and vegetablescount as part of daily water intake.
Monitor your urine color to determine if you need to drink more water: pale yellow means you are sufficiently hydrated; yellow to deep yellow denotes inadequate hydration. Dehydration saps your energy for sports and strength training, so drink up.
2. Have a pre- and post-workout meal.
To fuel your workouts, eat a pre-workout meal about one to two hours before exercise, including carbohydrates (e.g., fruit, whole grain cereal) and protein (e.g., yogurt or cheese and nuts). It will give your body the energy source it needs for intense training. Learn more aboutpre-activity fueling.
Preferably within 15 to 30 minutes after strength training, take in a post-workout meal with a ratio of four grams of carbohydrate to one gram of protein. For example, to enhance recovery and promote muscle building, eat a banana, a whole wheat bagel andchocolate milk. Consuming carbs after exercise helps replace glycogen stores, the body’s main source of fuel for exercise, while protein supplies the amino acids needed for muscle tissue repair and rebuilding following intense exercise.
3. Athletes need more calories for building muscle.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, young athletes should consume between 3,200 and 3,600 calories per day when trying to build muscle. You can do this by consuming six meals—breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner and pre-bedtime snack. Each meal should containcarbohydrates, protein and essential fatsfrom the basic food groups: fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals, breads, lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, milk and cheese.
Daily Muscle-Building Sample Meals
Breakfast: three hard-boiled eggs, two glasses of milk, two slices of buttered whole grain toast, one orange, handful of almonds (1,030 calories)
Morning snack: raisins, string cheese, almonds (360 calories)
Lunch: two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, yogurt, banana (700 calories)
Afternoon snack: apple, string cheese, sunflower seeds (330 calories)
Dinner: three pieces of meat, two potatoes, salad (450 calories)
Bedtime snack: oatmeal with milk, raisins and almonds (480 calories)
Total Calories: 3,350
Article by:Jim Carpentier
- breegirlrn likes this
- freefallingoceans likes this
- thefebruarian reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- itsmececily likes this
- artfitnessfunny reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- ethanstuff reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- bekindi likes this
- life-lovestress-setbacks reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- kfitblr reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- theperfectratio reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- livelovehopee likes this
- kinsleyandaddiesmommy likes this
- ilovebreakfastatiffanys likes this
- anybody-out-there reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle and added:
- trailofsummits likes this
- kvtrina likes this
- lizalove808 reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- fittherapy reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- undiscloseddesires33 likes this
- beautyfromashes7 likes this
- smokeifyougotthem likes this
- thelionandthelambb likes this
- sweatingmyasoff likes this
- shes-shrinking reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- fitnesspress likes this
- emmynizzy likes this
- goodtimesroll24 reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- veganpatty likes this
- undateableblackgirl likes this
- agirlstransformation reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- gabekarl likes this
- jav0n likes this
- damerchant reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- summerlovebringingsexyback reblogged this from strengthfromstruggle
- summerlovebringingsexyback likes this
- goodfun2 likes this
- strengthfromstruggle posted this